Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Welcome! Allow Us to Introduce Ourselves

Hi, I'm Jacob and I will be conducting these reviews with my partner Sebastian. I think in this case it would be best to introduce myself from a cinematic standpoint. Therefore, I shall share with you some of my views on film.

My favorite movie would have to be Lawrence of Arabia. What I love about this movie is partially the story, but more importantly the style. When I think about Lawrence of Arabia, I think of limitless horizons, sweeping sand dunes, and characters with an intelligible wit. David Lean was obsessed with the purity of the desert and marvelously managed to capture it on film with the help of his talented cinematographer. Maurice Jarre’s score also adds to the vast imagery portrayed. There is one scene in which Lawrence and his guide are at well drinking water. As they look into the distance, they notice a shape slowly coming into focus through the haze of the heat waves. It is this long, epic tension that best exemplifies the style of this film. I believe that movies are much more effective when they immerse you, creating the illusion that you are there.

The following is my current list of favorite films:
Lawrence of Arabia, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Truman Show, E.T., Slumdog Millionaire, The Shining, Psycho, Jaws, Vertigo, Raiders of the Lost Ark, North by Northwest, Forrest Gump, Close Encounters of the third Kind, Rear Window, Into the Wild, Spirited Away, The Godfather, The China Syndrome, Taxi Driver, The Searchers, Superbad, Tootsie, Back to the Future, The Shawshank Redemption, Star Wars Original Trilogy, Young Frankenstein, The Goonies, Unforgiven, Babe, The Sound of Music, Pan's Labyrinth, Bridge on the River Kwai, Bourne, Pirates of the Carribean: The Course of the Black Pearl, The Matrix, War of the Worlds, Pee-wee's Big Adventure, Cast Away, Shrek, Meet the Parents, and District 9.



And I’m Sebastian. I’ll be writing and reviewing alongside Jacob.

Picking a single favorite movie would be impossible. There are simply brilliant movies like The Ghost Writer which amaze you with their genius and keep you thinking, and then there are just plain entertaining masterpieces like The Lord of the Rings trilogy. What I look for most in a movie is originality as well as how downright entertaining it is. The writing is the basis of a movie and therefore the most important part, but brilliant writing without great directing and acting leaves a movie empty and lifeless. Nowadays film making is rapidly changing great films are hard to come by. I’m always on the lookout for a movie that is beautifully made and if I find one you’ll be the first to know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment